Monday, January 10, 2011

The Zombies Ate Your Brains

In the eternal words of Kip Dynamite, “I love technology.” Cambodia loves technology too, but I'm starting to realize that love is still new and growing.
Exhibit A: The Refrigerator.
My host family got their first refrigerator last month. It is tiny and energy-efficient but still considered an extreme luxury in rural Cambodia (mostly since electricity here is so pricey). Now pretty much any food is game for the fridge, including the Cheetos I brought back from the city for my family to try.
Exhibit B: Nonstick cookware
My host mom is pretty proud of this new nonstick frying pan she bought. It’s great, expect the explanation is all in English. I cringe every time I hear her metal spatula scraping the bottom or see the pan heating dry over extra-high heat. My Khmer lessons somehow missed out on ‘nonstick coating can release toxic substances.’
Exhibit C: Gaming
My host brother loves the one computer game on the computer my (doctor) host dad uses for ultrasounds. It’s basic and involves placing weapons to shoot rows of oncoming monsters. The other night I was watching him play when the screen flashed ‘The Zombies Ate Your Brains!’ in drippy-blood lettering. I found it hard to explain why I was laughing so hard.

Oh, Cambodia...

No comments:

Post a Comment