Wednesday, July 14, 2010

excitement

Less than a week out now. Not thinking about that.

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm excited. The easy answer? Yes! Of course! This is something I've wanted to do for years, and I know it will be an unbeatable experience. Realistically...sometimes I'm excited. No more jumping and squealing at the moment. This is something I've wanted to do for years. I know it will be an unbeatable experience, but it's not easy to comprehend the prospect of picking up and leaving the world I know for more than two years. I've got pretty a good thing going here in DC. I live in an awesome, huge (not to mention cheap!) old house in a perfect location with pretty sweet roommates, a veg kitchen, a treasure trove of nerdy boardgames and opponents, and one unforgettable cat. I've got easy access to work, volunteering, cheap groceries, a slew of free museums, plus trails through the woods and other outdoorsy things. I have friends who have ended up here from all the different places I've lived. I'm not in a hurry to leave. In Cambodia, I'll probably be hot and sweaty pretty much constantly. I'll probably have to eat meat after more than 7 years of vegetarianism. There is a high likelihood I will get Dengue Fever and/or other tropical diseases. I don't know a single person in the entire country right now and speak only a few words of Khmer.

Still, I'm fairly sure it is going to be one heck of a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment