Thursday, April 29, 2010

Invitation

Here it is: Cambodia. Orientation July 20. Until September 30, 2012.

I didn't even squeal! I knew the invitation was coming, and from my very basic detective work I was about 90% sure beforehand that it would be Cambodia. Still, I just kept staring at that letter, and for some reason I could not stop laughing. Partly in relief, partly in nervous anticipation.

I had promised my folks they would be the first to know, (even though, technically, my sneaky roommate Matt knew even before I did because he peeked through the packet's address window and could just make out "Cambodia") so after getting home to find the packet at quarter to 6, I tried calling my parents while I made dinner before I was due at my friend Faith's play. No luck, but thankfully I was able to catch them on my way home. As I expected, they had lots of questions, including ones I had barely had a chance to think about: "When will you tell your work?" "Are you coming to visit before you leave?" "When are you moving out of your house?" "Will you be going to grad school right away when you finish?"

Needless to say, there's a lot to think about in the next 11 weeks and 5 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment