Saturday, November 6, 2010

On Living in the Fishbowl

Today I arrived at school for one of my classes to find my co-workers having a heated debate. The question at hand: how much money I had changed at the market the day before. Apparently there were competing rumors. You know how word gets out. The paps have also been keeping close tabs on how often I drink a coffee from the coffee shop. To give them some credit, that actually IS a bizarre thing, for anyone who knows me. I’ve never been a coffee drinker, but I drank a few that my host mom bought me, not wanting to be rude, I figured out that the sweetened condensed milk they put in everything actually tastes pretty good with something bitter.

I hate to be a disappointing foreigner, but my everyday life is, well, pretty average. I wake up and take a cold shower, eat some bananas, go to school, do some laundry by hand, eat some lunch, go back to school, maybe study Khmer, go exercise for half an hour, eat dinner, then maybe read a book before I go to bed. If I feel like splurging, I might add a packet of drink mix to my water.

Actually, right now I do have some pressing business. There is a particularly pesky mosquito in my room, so I’m going to go hunt the bugger down with my Peace-Corps-issue electrified bug-zapping tennis racquet. And that’s my life.

3 comments:

  1. Where do you get books to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just tell you how big of a deal drink packets are if you're reading this blog and don't quite understand. It would be comparable to being imprisoned in a high-security penitentiary and escaping. The feel of the fresh air on your face as you break free, without getting shot of course. In relation to here, it's drinking filtered water with the fresh taste of lemonade, fruit punch, or grape and having avoided amoebic dysentery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em, I brought a few books with me and stocked up from the Peace Corps library of shared Volunteer books before I came out to my site. We've already started trading them around, because we all seem to be doing a LOT more reading than at home.

    And Garrett. True. That. Well spoken sir. What's your favorite flavor? Right now I'm digging the Crystal Light Lemon Iced Tea. Sadly I think I only have about 5 left.

    ReplyDelete