Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Verdict

First, does everyone realize what a worldwide phenomenon Justin Bieber is? He is on the radio in Cambodia. No joke. There is a Khmer language remake of "Baby," but they also like to play the original. The original is really better. Maybe if you were in Cambodia for a couple months you'd start to like it. I'm just saying, it's a possibility.

ANYWAY....Kampong Thom! or K. Big, also affectionately known as the 'Nebraska of Cambodia,' is where I will be spending the next little bit of my life. You can Google it, I assume, but basically it's dead in the center of the country and is conveniently about halfway between the two big tourist cities of Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. My site is right on the main highway between them, meaning it will be easy for me to get around. This also means a lot of foreigners are going to be seeing me riding my bike to school in my sampot while they relax in air conditioning and enjoy some Khmer music videos. I got to see my new town for a couple days last week, although I'm going to reserve judgment until I can get a better look around.

In other exciting news, as of today I'm now the owner of a phone that should allow me to access the internet from some various not-so-populated areas of Cambodia. We'll see how things pan out, but it should mean that I'll at least be able to check email a little bit more often...just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment